You are here
2019 Legislative Priorities
LWV Minnesota is excited to share our 2019 Legislative Priorities!
The LWV Minnesota board of directors have set the following priorities for the 2019 legislative session. These priorities were selected based on the current needs of Minnesota, their relevancy to LWV’s mission, and their urgency. For all issues related to elections, LWV Minnesota hopes that legislative will be passed on a bipartisan basis. Priorities are listed in the order of most important and urgent to least.
However, these priorities are not set in stone; additional issues may emerge. LWV Minnesota will remain flexible to address important issues if they arise. LWV Minnesota will also be partnering with other organizations on other positions, such as conservation, health care, and housing as our volunteer capacity allows.
- Complete Census Count – support adequate state and local action and funding to ensure a complete and accurate count of Minnesota's population in the 2020 census.
- Fair District Maps – support redistricting principles and methods that provide effective representation and prevent gerrymandering.
- Election Administration & Infrastructure – support improved election infrastructure, including increased funding for cybersecurity, clear guidance to election officials on how to execute all election laws, and increased confidence and turnout for eligible voters.
- Restore the Vote – support re-enfranchisement of individuals with past felony convictions when they are living in their communities.
- Automatic Voter Registration – support the automatic registration of eligible voters when they interact with government agencies.
- Legislative Transparency – support improving legislative rules and practices to improve transparency and public participation, including ending the use of large omnibus bills or late-session rush.
Approved by the League of Women Voters Minnesota Board of Directors on November 27, 2018.
The LWV Minnesota Board of Directors also approved formal coalitions with the following partners:
- Voting Rights Network
- Restore the Vote MN
- Minnesota Environmental Partnership
- Minnesota Census Mobilization Partnership
- Statewide Complete Count Committee
- Democracy Convening Table
- Bold Action on Climate Change
LWV Minnesota will also continue to work with other organizations on an informal basis as needed.