Council of Metropolitan Area Leagues (C.M.A.L.)
The Council of Metropolitan Area Leagues of Women Voters (CMAL) is an Inter-League Organization (ILO) made up of all local LWV members in the seven-county Twin Cities Metropolitan Area. This ILO was founded over 50 years ago and has written many educational publications to educate metro area League members and the general public on issues and concerns specific to the Twin Cities region. Based on its studies, CMAL has taken positions through a process of consensus to advocate and lobby for its positions (see pages 52-57 of LWVMN’s Program for Action). CMAL helped to pass the groundbreaking revenue-sharing law know as “Fiscal Disparities” in 1971. CMAL has also supported the services provided by the Metropolitan Council.
CURRENT NEWS: Consensus Study on Metropolitan Council Governance
At its Annual Meeting in April 2018, CMAL established a committee of its members to update CMAL’s position on Metropolitan Council Governance. The committee’s goal is to educate it members about the current and possible changes for Met Council governance and to update our current position, if a consensus is reached by members. Thank you to the 33 LWV members from 16 local leagues who interviewed 50 local elected officials and city and county staff.
Timeline for 2019:
- Jan 4: Final Committee Report available for member review
- Jan 5: CMAL will host a delegate workshop to prepare for consensus process.
- Jan/Feb: Metro-wide LWV meetings where the consensus questions will be asked and responses recorded.
- Feb 28: All responses are due back to CMAL:
- March 9: If deemed appropriate based on member responses, a new position will be adopted by CMAL Board of Directors
Toolkit for Met Council Governance Consensus Study:
Questions: contact Karen Schaffer, Chair, CMAL; [email protected]
Officers and Board of Directors
- Karen Schaffer, Chair
- Ardyth Norem, Vice Chair
- Martha Micks, Secretary
- Cheryl Felix, Treasurer
- Directors: Susan Anderson, Holly Jenkins, Lynn Gitelis, Lynne Markus, Sue Butler
- 7-County Metro Area LWV Chapters:
- Anoka/Blaine/Coon Rapids Area (ABC), Bloomington, Brooklyn Park/Osseo/Maple Grove,
- Crystal/New Hope/East Plymouth, Dakota County, Eastern Carver County,
- Edina, Golden Valley, Minneapolis, Minnetonka/Eden Prairie/Hopkins,
- New Brighton, Richfield, Roseville Area, South Tonka, St. Louis Park,
- St. Paul, Wayzata/Plymouth Area, White Bear Lake Area, Woodbury/Cottage Grove Area